Wednesday 5 February 2020

January 2020 Wrap up



January, the first month of 2020, has passed and here we are again to talk about the books I read in it. This month I focused on finishing books that I had left in the middle of from the previous year and also on catching up on my arcs. 

Let's see them in more detail.

Astrid Lindgren (Little People, Big Dreams) - Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara & Linzie Hunter

By now you might have figured it out, that I love these picture books that Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara does. They are very inspiring for little children and you also learn something from them.
This one is about the famous author of Pippi Longstockings.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley
Release Date: March 3rd 2020


Evonne Goolagong (Little People, Big Dreams) - Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara

Another picture book from the same series as the previous one. This one is about the tennis player Evonne Goolagong who didn't stop from following her dreams.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley
Release Date: March 3rd 2020



Obelix & Co (Asterix #23) - Rene Goscinny & Albert Uderzo (ill.)

It's been a while since I last read an Asterix comic book and I can say that I missed it.
This one focuses on Obelix and the attempts of the Romans to corrupt his village. It wasn't one of my favorites and the reason is that I wanted more action in the story.





Maria Montessori: My first Maria Montessori (Little People, Big Dreams) - Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara

Because I don't want to repeat myself, I will only say one thing. I love these picture books/board books. They are perfect and very inspiring for the little ones.
I will continue reading them.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley
Release Date: March 3rd 2020




Keystone - Katie Delahanty

This is a young adult science fiction dystopian book with a very unique concept that is very apt for our days. In this not so distant future social media is above everything and in a way controls everything.

Keystone is full of plot twists and secrets until the very end and that made it even more enjoyable for me. Did I mention there is also a heist?

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley
Check my full review here



Blood and Sand  - C. V. Wyk

This book takes place in ancient Rome and its story focuses on the premise of Spartacus being a woman and not a man.
I liked this book and I wish they would continue the series.

Full review to come pretty soon.





Read to your toddler every day - Lucy Brownridge & Chloe Giordano (ill.)

This is a beautifully illustrated collection of stories and tales from around the world that you can read aloud to your little kid. It's perfect to read before bed as they are short enough for that.
There is also a good selection of stories from traditional folk tales to fairy tales and fables. Some are well-known and others not so much, but every one has a message to tell us.
Highly recommend it!

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley
                                               Release Date: March 3rd 2020
    
The Titanic and the City of Widows It Left Behind: The Forgotten Victims of the Fatal Voyage - Julie Cook

This non-fiction book talks about the widows that Titanic left behind. It's an interesting perspective and it's different from what we are used to when we talk about the Titanic.
As interesting and different the concept of this book is, it was repetitive a lot of the times and that bothered me

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley
Release Date: June 19th 2020



The Princess and the Pawn - Kaitlyn Davis

This prequel novella was a very good taste of what will follow in The Raven and the Dove. Now I can't wait to read the book. Thankfully I have an ARC from Netgalley for it.

Gifted from the author

Release Date of The Raven and the Dove: March 9th 2020
The Starless Sea - Erin Morgenstern

I was expecting a lot from this book and thankfully it didn't disappoint. The reviews on this one are controversial but I liked it. I loved the way Erin Morgenstern writes.

There will be a review pretty soon.





The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ - Philip Pullman
This is a unique interpretation of the life of Jesus by the amazing storyteller that is Philip Pullman. As the synopsis of the book says, "This book is, above all, about how stories become stories" and I couldn't agree more.







The Writer's Map: An Atlas of Imaginary lands - Huw Lewis - Jones

I love books like this one. Books about books and imaginary lands. This is a collection of essays regarding imaginary lands  from famous authors and map designers. It's full of images of maps, old and new, that belong to fictional lands, lands from some of our favorite books.







That's it for January's wrap up!
Have you read any of these? If yes, what do you think about them?
I would love to know!

See you in the next post and don't forget to keep reading!!!

Athina


0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment