Wednesday 1 May 2019

April 2019 wrap up

This April was a little bit different from the other months. I am talking of course about how my reading went. April was the month of readathons for me. I took part in two of them.

The bigger one and the one I was most excited about was O.W.L.'s Magical Readathon that was organised by G (@book_roast on Instagram & YouTube) and took place all of April. You had to read books the fulfilled prompts which corresponded to the classes at Hogwarts.

From the 5th until the 15th we had FantasyAthon which was, as you can guess, based on reading fantasy books. This one was organised by Julie (Pages and  Pens on YouTube), Madi (The Book Pusher on YouTube) and Ali ( Ali Corvere books on YouTube). 




So, without further ado let's see the books that I managed to read this month.

As Kismet Would Have it - Sandhya Menon

This is a funny, romantic and very sweet novella which is a sequel to When Dimple met Rishi (see review here). It is a very beautiful story and I really liked reading again about Dimple and Rishi. I hope there is more in the future. 

OWLs : Muggle Studies (contemporary) 





Είμαστε Αστρόσκονη: Σύμπαν, μια ιστορία χωρίς τέλος - Διονύσης Π. Σιμόπουλος 
(We are Stardust: Universe, a story without end - Dionisis P. Simopoulos)

It was an interesting book about the universe and its story from the birth of stars until their death and everything between. It was written in a simple language so that everyone could understand. 

OWLs: Astronomy ("Star" in the title)



Saga, vol. 4  - Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples

I read another volume of this graphic novel and I enjoyed it a much as the previous ones. I can't wait to read the next one.

FantasyAthon: A fantasy in a genre/format you don't normly (graphic novel/ebook)






Exhalation: Stories - Ted Chiang

Unfortunately this book was not for me. I enjoyed some of the stories but not all of them.

I will soon have a full review of this.

OWLs: Divination (Set in the future)





Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

I have heard so many things about this book and thankfully it didn't disappoint. It is a well-written and funny book that talks about the end of the world.

OWLs: Arithmacy (work written by more than one authors).






The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials #2) - Philip Pullman

I finished the second book pf this trilogy and the only thing that I can say is that I loved it.


OWLs: Potions (next ingredient: sequel)
FantasyAthon: Start or continue on in a series




Literary Landscapes: Charting the world of Classic Literature - John Sutherland

Books about books are my sweet spot. I always read them and I always like them. This one was no exception and it certainly added more books to my already big tbr.






Circe - Madeline Miller

I have heard so many good things about it but I didn't know exactly what to expect, only that it was a retelling of Circe's story. It was much more than that and I really liked it.

OWLs: Charms (Age-Line: read an adult book)





The Road - Cormac McCarthy

This book won a Pulitzer award and for good reason. I enjoyed it even though at some points I fell a lit bit lost. You observe the relationsphip between father and son and it is written in a kind of different way.

OWLs: Defense Against the Dark Arts (Reducto: Title starts with R)





I am Marie Curie - Brad Meltzer & Christopher Eliopoulos (ill.)

eARC from Edelweiss+

This is a very cute little picture book about the life of Marie Curie with very beautiful illustrations. I really liked it.





David Bowie - Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara &Ana Albero (Ill.)

eARC from Netgalley

This new addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series is one you should buy for your little ones. It has beautiful illustrations and it is very inspiring and empowering.

OWLs: Transfiguration ( Sprayed Edges or Red Cover)



Uprooted - Naomi Novik

I really liked this one. It is like reading a Grimm's fairy tale. You can consider it as a retelling of Russia fairy tales. I enjoyed the writing and especially the depiction of the Wood. It is a magical book but at some points I wished it was more fast paced.

OWLs: Ancient Runes (Retelling) 





I managed to complete my OWLs for the career of Curse Breaker and in total completing 9 exams.
I did not do as well in FantsyAthon and I completed only 3 promts finishing only 2 books during its period.

That's it for my reading wrap up for April.

Athina

0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment