Monday 31 January 2022

January 2022 Reading Wrap up

 Hello everyone!!

January is over so it is time to share with you my monthly reading wrap up. In this month I read 6 books in total. 2 of them were ebooks and the rest were physical books. I also found two of new favourite books among them.



Let's see them together, shall we?

Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology #1) by Sue Lynn Tan

This is a fantasy book that is also a myth retelling. It s the first book in The Celestial Kingdom Duology and was published on January.

Disclaimer: I was lucky enough to receive an eARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

This was my first read on 2022 and it was also a 5 star read that I loved. It is a debut fantasy and it is inspired by Chinese mythology and more specifically by the legend of Chang'e, the Chinese Moon Goddess.
I loved the writing style of the author, it is so whimsical and beautiful and the world - building and magic system are just phenomenal. 

Rating: 5 Stars

Check out my full review here

 

The Heir by Benet Stoen

It is a YA fantasy book and it is the first book in The Royal Three trilogy. The book was released on July 2021.

Disclaimer: I was lucky enough to receive an free ebook of this book by the author. All opinions are my own.

This is a gender-bent Hades and Persephone re-imagining with political intrigue, complex characters and many shocking plot twists. 
I liked the writing style and the story and how it progressed. It is slow at the beginning but then picks up and you just want to turn page after page to find out what happens.

Rating: 3,5 Stars

Check out my review here


The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1) by S. A Chakraborty

This is a fantasy book with elements of historical fiction and it is the first book in The Daevabad Trilogy. The book  was published in 2017.

I had The City of Brass in my shelves since when it was published and I finally managed to read it. I loved it and I regretted not having done that earlier. 
First of all, I love the story and the writing style . S.A. Chakraborty describes everything perfectly. My favourite thing of all though, is the world and the world - building that she does.

Rating:  5 Stars

Check out my full review here



Gilded (Gilded #1) by Marissa Meyer

This is a YA fantasy book that is also a fairy tale retelling. It was published in November 2021.

I read as part of the #booktalkwithwifey readalong on Instagram  and I really enjoyed it. It was dark and also whimsical and atmospheric. The main character wasn't my favourite but that didn't stop me from liking the book. 

Rating 4 Stars








Year of the Reaper by Makiia Lucier

This is a YA Fantasy book that was released also on November 2021 and it was part of the December Fairyloot box.

I read it as part of their readalong and I loved it. I didn't have high hopes for it but thankfully it surprised me and became a 5 star read for me. All the plot twists made it even more gripping and I kept turning the pages. I loved the characters and the writing style.

Rating: 5 Stars








As Kingfishers catch fire by Gerard Manley Hopkins

It is a selection of his poetry and it is part of Penguin's Little Black Classics.  I didn't like it as it was expected since I don't like that kind of poetry. 
I just read it as part of my challenge to read all the books in this series.

Rating: 1 Star









See you in the next post and don't forget to keep reading!!!
Athina



0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment