Sunday 23 January 2022

The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1) by S. A. Chakraborty - A Review

 


“Greatness takes time, Banu Nahida. Often the mightiest things have the humblest beginnings.”
― S.A. Chakraborty, The City of Brass

The City of Brass by S. A. Chakraborty is a fantasy book with elements of historical fiction and it is the first book in The Daevabad Trilogy. The book  was published in 2017.

I had The City of Brass in my shelves since when it was published and I finally managed to read it. I loved it and I regretted not having done that earlier. 
First of all, I love the story and the writing style . S.A. Chakraborty describes everything perfectly. My favourite thing of all though, is the world and the world - building that she does. The story is told through two POVs, Nahri and Ali and they might start in completely different places but then they converge. My favourite scenes were those where Dara was present. I loved everything about him.
There is a lot of political intrigue that adds to the overall story and setting. And of course the magic of the djinn and how it differs between the many tribes is incredible. And I don't have to mention the ending of the book.

Tomorrow I am starting book 2, The Kingdom of Copper and I highly recommend that you start reading this trilogy asap.

Rating: 5 Stars

About the book:
In the markets of eighteenth century of Cairo, thieves, tricksters, con artists and outcasts eke out a living swundling rich nobles and foreign invaders alike.

But alongside this new world, the old stories linger. Tales of djinn and spirits, of cities hidden among the swirling sands of the desert - full of enchantment, desire and riches - where magic pours down every street hanging in the air like that.

Many wish their lives could be filled with wonder, but not Nahri. She knows the trades she uses to get by are just tricks and slights of hand, there's nothing magical about her. She only wishes to one day leave Cairo, but as the saying goes...

See you in the next post and don't forget to keep reading!!!
Athina

0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment