Wednesday 9 March 2022

Escaping From Houdini (SJTR #3) by Kerri Maniscalco - A Review

 


“If you wish to go, I’ll never make you stay. I might not do and say the proper thing all the time, but I do know that I love you enough to set you free.”

Escaping From Houdini by Kerri Maniscalco is a YA historical fiction / mystery novel, which is the third book in Stalking Jack the Ripper series. The book was published in 2018 by Jimmy Patterson.

In this book Audrey Rose Wadsworth and her partner-in-crime-investigation, Thomas Cresswell, are en route to New York to help solve another blood-soaked mystery. Embarking on a week-long voyage across the Atlantic on the opulent RMS Etruria, they’re delighted to discover a traveling troupe of circus performers, fortune tellers, and a certain charismatic young escape artist entertaining the first-class passengers nightly. 
But then, privileged young women begin to go missing without explanation, and a series of brutal slayings shocks the entire ship. The disturbing influence of the Moonlight Carnival pervades the decks as the murders grow ever more freakish, with nowhere to escape except the unforgiving sea.
It's up to Audrey Rose and Thomas to piece together the gruesome investigation as even more passengers die before reaching their destination. 

Of course their journey on the RMS Etruria wouldn't be peaceful at all. Audrey Rose and Thomas face many challenges on this journey.
I had heard mixed reviews about Escaping from Houdini but I really enjoyed it.  As always I really liked the writing of Kerri Maniscalco. It's so captivating. This is the third book in the series and I knew what to expect ( a lot of murders) but in this one I liked the twists and until the very end I couldn't guess who was guilty and who wasn't.
A favourite part of the book was of course Audrey Rose and Thomas and the banter between them, even though it wasn't as much as before.
One thing I didn't like was the love triangle and I also wanted Houdini to have a bigger role. 

Rating: 4 Stars

See you in the next post and don't forget to keep reading!!!
Athina

0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment