Wednesday 13 December 2023

Favourite Book of January 2023 - Review (Blogmas 2023 - Day 13)

 Hello everyone!!

Since we are approaching the end of 2023, I thought that it would be nice to look back at each  of my monthly favourite books and share my review. 

Let's begin today with January's favourite book which was One Dark Window by Rachel Gillig!


“I'm just the wind in the trees, the shadow, and the fright. The echo in the leaves...the nightmare in the night.”
― Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window

One Dark Window is a Young Adult Fantasy book with gothic elements and it is the first book in The Shepherd King duology. 

If it wasn't for @trrcbookclub , I wouldn't have picked this book. 

I loved this book and the truth is that I wasn't expecting it. I loved the story, the characters, the setting and the magic system.
This book is atmospheric and dark and it contains the venom trope (a character possessed by a monster).
I really liked all the characters but my favourites are The Nightmare, Ravyn and Elm. The magic system with the providence cards is unique and very interesting.
The ending was really good. It was intense and left us on a cliffhanger.

Rating: 5 Stars

Since then, I have read the sequel Two Twisted Crowns that came out in October and I can say that I loved as well.


About the book:

Elspeth needs a monster. The monster might be her.

Elspeth Spindle needs more than luck to stay safe in the eerie, mist-locked kingdom of Blunder—she needs a monster. She calls him the Nightmare, an ancient, mercurial spirit trapped in her head. He protects her. He keeps her secrets.

But nothing comes for free, especially magic.

When Elspeth meets a mysterious highwayman on the forest road, her life takes a drastic turn. Thrust into a world of shadow and deception, she joins a dangerous quest to cure Blunder from the dark magic infecting it. And the highwayman? He just so happens to be the King’s nephew, Captain of the most dangerous men in Blunder…and guilty of high treason.

Together they must gather twelve Providence Cards—the keys to the cure. But as the stakes heighten and their undeniable attraction intensifies, Elspeth is forced to face her darkest secret yet: the Nightmare is slowly taking over her mind. And she might not be able to stop him.

See you in the next post and don't forget to keep reading!!!
Athina


0 σχόλια:

Post a Comment